Your privacy matters! We believe in protecting the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of information. For that reason, we want to explain in this policy the types of information we collect, what we do with this information, and how you can exercise your rights to your personal data.
This policy governs data collection and usage of data. We recommend you read this policy before accessing or using the Teach Cyber site. By using the Teach Cyber site, you consent to the data practices described in this statement. If you have questions, please contact us at https://teachcyber.org/contact-us.
Teach Cyber Privacy Guidelines
- Your privacy matters!
- We will only require you to provide personal information when signing up for our mailing list and/or when registering an account on the Site.
- We require you to register an account on the Site to access the curriculum guidelines and the lessons (i.e., courseware). The only reason we require this is a) to help our mission of developing, supporting, and stewarding excellent cybersecurity education at the secondary level; and b) to help manage access to our materials.
- We do not sell your information. We do not sell ads.
- We do not knowingly collect data from anyone under the age of 18.
- We aim to give you access to and control over the information you share with us. (See ways to access and control your information outlined below.)
Collection of Your Personal Information
In order to validate registrants on the site and/or to better provide you with products and services offered on our Site, Teach Cyber may collect personally identifiable information, such as your:
- First and Last Name
- E-mail Address
- Job Title
- State and/or city of employment, school district, school
Teach Cyber may also collect anonymous demographic information, which is not unique to you, such as your:
- Subject(s) taught
- Grade level(s) taught
Please keep in mind that if you directly disclose personally identifiable information or personally sensitive data through Teach Cyber’s public message boards, this information may be collected and used by others.
We do not collect any personally identifiable information about you unless you voluntarily provide it to us. However, you may be required to provide certain personal information to us when you elect to use certain products or services available on the Site. These include: (a) registering for an account on our Site; (b) signing up for our mailing list; (c) sending us an email message; (d) submitting a contact form through our “Contact Us” page; (e) posting a comment on a Teach Cyber message board; (f) entering a sweepstakes or contest sponsored by us or one of our partners; and (g) submitting your credit card or other payment information when ordering and purchasing products and services on our Site. To wit, we will use your information for, but not limited to, communicating with you in relation to services and/or products you have requested from us. We also may gather additional personal or non-personal information in the future.
How We Use Your Personal Information
We use your information for the following purposes:
- Provide, operate, and maintain our website
- Improve, personalize, and expand our website
- Understand and analyze how you use our website
- Develop new products, services, features, and functionality
- Communicate with you, either directly or through one of our partners, including for customer service, to provide you with updates and other information relating to the website, and for marketing and promotional purposes
- Send you emails
- Find and prevent fraud
Sharing Information With Third Parties
Teach Cyber does not sell, rent or lease its customer lists to third parties.
Teach Cyber may share data with trusted partners to support our operations, for example: to help perform statistical analysis, to analyze website usage and performance, to send you email, to provide customer support, or to host the videos embedded on our site*. Similarly, we may use third-party service providers to implement and host our Site and associated services and features, provide teacher forums, process donations, provide contract and workflow management services, assist with customer support, and provide other functions in support of our organization. All such third parties are prohibited from using your personal information except to provide these services to Teach Cyber, and they are required to maintain the confidentiality of your information.
*We use the embedded YouTube player in Privacy Enhanced Mode to deliver videos on our Site. This means that YouTube does not place cookies or track your viewing behavior for advertising purposes.
Teach Cyber may disclose your personal information, without notice, if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to the edicts of the law or comply with legal process served on Teach Cyber or the Site; (b) protect and defend the rights or property of Teach Cyber; and/or (c) act under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of Teach Cyber, or the public.
Tracking User Behavior
Teach Cyber may keep track of the pages our users visit within the Site, and we may keep track of user downloads. We do this in order to determine what Teach Cyber services are the most popular. This data may be used to deliver customized content and advertising within Teach Cyber to customers whose behavior indicates that they are interested in a particular subject area.
Automatically Collected Information
Information about your computer hardware and software may be automatically collected by Teach Cyber. This information can include: your IP address, browser type, domain names, access times and referring website addresses. This information is used for the operation of the service, to maintain quality of the service, and to provide general statistics regarding use of the Teach Cyber website.
Like most websites, whether or not you are a registered member, we may send one or more cookies (small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters that save to your computer or mobile device when you visit our Site). Cookies remember information about your activities on a website and enable us to provide you with a more personalized learning experience. We collect this information for various purposes:
- Essential cookies: these ensure the Website works properly for Users. For example, when log in, thanks to essential cookies, you aren’t prompted to re-enter your password on every page you visit during your browsing session.
- Functional cookies: these help us personalize the Website and make it faster or more user-friendly.
- Analytical cookies are used to collect technical information to help us optimize the Website and our courses. For example, thanks to analytical cookies, we can identify which materials are most popular among users.
Teach Cyber may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears automatically after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the Site. You can, however, remove a persistent cookie at any time. Please review your web browser Help file, Tools menu, or other similar menu options to learn the proper way to modify your cookie settings, or visit www.allaboutcookies.org. Please note that without cookies you will not have access to certain services and features on the Website.
A pixel tag (also known as a “clear GIF” or “web beacon”) is a tiny image – typically just one pixel – that can be placed on a Web page or in an email to you to tell us when you have displayed that page or opened that email.
Information Collected from Other Sources
International Visitors and GDPR
This Site is operated and managed on servers located within the United States. If you opt to use our Website from other regions of the world, whose laws governing data collection and use differ from U.S. law, then you acknowledge and agree 1) that you are transferring information (including your personal information) outside of those regions to the United States and 2) that, by providing your personal information on the Site, you consent to that transfer.
Mobile and Location Data
We may collect and store information about your location to provide you with educational experiences or email updates that are tailored for your region. The location information we have access to may include: (1) your state (provided by you if you register for an account on the Site); (2) the approximate geographic region your computer or mobile device is located in, as determined from your IP address (You may be able to change the settings on your computer or mobile device to prevent it from providing us with such IP information); (3) your school location (provided by you if you are a K-12 teacher and register for an account on the Site). Teach Cyber does not request or collect your exact GPS location, and your billing and shipping addresses are not used for these purposes.
Should Teach Cyber allow users to upload photos, users should, prior to uploading, remove from photos any Exif data that could reveal their location.
This website contains links to other sites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our Site and to read the privacy statements of any other site that collects personally identifiable information.
Security of Your Personal Information
Teach Cyber secures your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. Teach Cyber uses the following methods for this purpose:
- SSL Protocol
When personal information is transmitted to other websites, it is protected through the use of encryption, such as the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol.
We strive to take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or alteration of your personal information. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet or any wireless network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, you acknowledge that: (a) there are security and privacy limitations inherent to the Internet which are beyond our control; and (b) security, integrity, and privacy of any and all information and data exchanged between you and us through this Site cannot be guaranteed. Any information you transmit to this Site, you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission of information, we maintain and enforce commercially reasonable efforts to ensure the security of our systems. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such personal information and other information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
If we learn of a security breach that compromises your personal information, we will send notification to the email address we have on file for you so that you can take appropriate action.
Right to Deletion
After registration, if you at any time wish to delete your personal information from our records, you can go to the “Edit Profile” page and click “Delete”. This will delete your account, remove your data, and unsubscribe you from any future correspondence from Teach Cyber.
Alternatively, you can submit a request for deletion through the “Contact Us” page.
Subject to certain exceptions set out below, on receipt of a verifiable request from you, we will:
- Delete your personal information from our records; and
- Direct any service providers to delete your personal information from their records.
Please note that we may not be able to comply with requests to delete your personal information if it is necessary to:
- Complete the transaction for which the personal information was collected, fulfill the terms of a written warranty or product recall conducted in accordance with federal law, provide a good or service requested by you, or reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform a contract between you and us;
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity; or prosecute those responsible for that activity;
- Debug to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality;
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise his or her right of free speech, or exercise another right provided for by law;
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act;
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when our deletion of the information is likely to render impossible or seriously impair the achievement of such research, provided we have obtained your informed consent;
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with your expectations based on your relationship with us;
- Comply with an existing legal obligation; or
- Otherwise use your personal information, internally, in a lawful manner that is compatible with the context in which you provided the information.
Children Under Thirteen
Teach Cyber does not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of thirteen. If you are under the age of thirteen, you must ask your parent or guardian for permission to use this website.
From time to time, Teach Cyber may contact you via email for the purpose of providing announcements, promotional offers, alerts, confirmations, surveys, and/or other general communication.
If you would like to stop receiving marketing or promotional communications via email from Teach Cyber, you may opt out of such communications by clicking on the UNSUBSCRIBE button contained in email communications.
Conditions of Use
Updates to this Policy
Teach Cyber welcomes your questions or comments regarding this Statement of Privacy. If you believe that Teach Cyber has not adhered to this Statement, please contact Teach Cyber at: